Maybe you are like me, wanting all the help you can get to strengthen your role as a Christian wife. For years, I have used a list of ten daily checkpoints to refresh my own marriage. I don't go over them everyday, but I do go over them quite regularly. I first learned them from Anne Ortlund, wife of Ray Ortlund, but have since tweaked them just a bit. This time I will give you the first five, and next time, I will give you the last five. They are excellent reminders to help you and me keep the main thing the main thing in our marriages.
1. I will say "I love you" to my partner everyday (at least once a day—it can be said aloud, on a post-it note, in a text, etc.—in any way!).
2. I will not bring up my partner's past failures today (would you want your past failures brought up to you? Let's treat our husbands as we would like to be treated! Common courtesy:-).
3. I will put from my mind the weak points of my husband which I cannot change (Bear with each other—forgive grievances and keep forgiving).
4. I will concentrate on my husband's good points. Everyone has weak point and faults and we can emphasize these and give it our total attention, or we can focus on our husband's strong points. By loving the good we see in our husbands we are walking in a manner worthy of our calling in Christ, and love will flow back to us. Life will be more enjoyable and pleasant instead of stressful and painful.
5. I will seek to do some active kindness today that will please my husband (do what you know he likes—is it taking the car to get the oil changed? Walking the dog? Making spaghetti? A note on his pillow? It may be small in effort, but huge in effect. We were made for romance. One husband who eventually held off on reconciling with his wife for quite some time told me that he had asked his wife continually to buy peanut butter when at the store—but she never returned with it.) Our part is to do the kind deed. Be creative, have fun. Your laughter and pleasure together glorify God!
Little acts of love can act like a balm after a stressful day of irritating business concerns. Do all you can to make your husband's life as pleasant and as easy as you can (I'm talking to myself too, dear readers, in fact—more than you know! I need these reminders to prevent me from going off and just living life according to my own likes and dislikes!) As Christians, we should live our lives totally differently from how the world lives.
Try to see life from your husband's perspective. What he has been through? What difficulties does he face? Is he weary? He needs to come home to a place of peace and rest and loving attention. Only a wife with a loving heart could see these things.
"That was the secret of her heavenly power. The one who will be found in trial capable of great acts of love, is ever the one who is always doing considerate small ones." -F.W. Robertson
❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧
It's time for
Wednesday's Prayer Girls & Link-Up Party!
Each Wednesday I like to offer to pray for your non-confidential prayer request or praise in the comment section below. Please enter a prayer if you would like me to pray for you (and pray for one another!) and I will be reading your prayer and lifting up your request as I read it, or if you just have a comment (click the word "COMMENT" located below my signature below, under the colorful social media sharing squares:-)
I'd love to connect with you on your favorite spot:
It is my delight to pray for you!
Remember, God desires us not only to be a believers, but to be wholehearted disciples of Jesus Christ! May we listen to Him daily through His word, and obey Him!
Walk by faith,
You are next...
This list will close in 6 days, 7 hrs, 55 min (7/15/2014 11:59 PM North America - Eastern Standard Time)